Coach’s Code of Conduct
To clarify expectations of coach conduct, we as Trustees of Buckeye Soccer Association expect all coaches to conform to the following standards. The term “Coach” shall include, but is not limited to, Head Coach, Assistant Coach(es), and/ or Team Representative:
By accepting an assignment to coach a team within the Buckeye Soccer Association, each coach agrees to abide by the expectations as detailed below. Coaching within the Buckeye Soccer Association is a privilege and not a right.
I agree that:
- I will place the emotional and physical well-being of the children I coach ahead of any personal desire to win.
- At ALL times, I will be an example of dignity, patience and positive spirit.
- I will ensure that each player with the Recreation/ Travel league receives equal playing time.
- I will ensure that each player within the Recreation/ Travel league has the opportunity to play all positions.
- I will do everything I can to provide a safe playing environment for my players.
- I will exemplify the principles of good sportsmanship and instill them in the players under my care.
- I will do my best to plan practices that are enjoyable and challenging for all my players.
- I will become knowledgeable in the rules of soccer and those of OYSAN, and I will teach these rules to my players. I will adhere to both the letter and spirit of the laws of the game.
- I will become knowledgeable about coaching techniques appropriate for the skills I teach.
- I will remember that I am a youth coach and that the game is for children, not for adults.
- I will treat each player as an individual, remembering that significant differences in emotional and physical development occur within the same age group.
- I will support a kid-friendly environment by refraining from the use of profanity, abusive language or behavior at games and practices.
- I will not tolerate inappropriate behavior from players regardless of the situation. During the game, I am responsible for the sportsmanship of my players. If a player is disrespectful, irresponsible or overly aggressive, I will take that player out of the game to calm him/her down.
- I will respect the coaches and players of the opposing team before, during, and after the game.
- During games and at practices, I am also responsible for the conduct of the parents of my players and the conduct of the spectators rooting for my team. I understand it is imperative to explain acceptable play and parent behavior in a preseason meeting to ensure that they exhibit maturity and sportsmanship at all times. By my example, I will encourage my team parents to demonstrate positive support for all players, coaches, and if applicable officials.
- I will encourage parents to applaud and cheer for good plays by either team and will discourage anyone from yelling at players and the referee.
- I will take appropriate steps in a timely fashion to minimize running up the score in games that I clearly dominate.
- During the game I will not address the referee at all, if I have a small issue, I will discuss it with the referee calmly and patiently after the game. If I have a major complaint, or if I think the referee was unfair, biased, unfit or incompetent, I will report this opinion to a Buckeye Soccer Association Trustee. I understand that my reactions will be taken seriously if they are presented objectively and formally. Officials must have the support of coaches, players, and spectators. Criticism of officials undermines their purpose in the game.
- I will support a drug-free and alcohol-free environment for Buckeye Soccer Association participants by refraining from their use at all Buckeye Soccer Association sponsored events.
- I will teach each player, through personal example, to be humble and generous in victory and proud and courteous in defeat.
I have read the above Code of Conduct and fully agree to abide by and support it as a volunteer coach for the Buckeye Soccer Association. I understand and agree that the Buckeye Soccer Association Trustees may relieve me of my duties as a volunteer coach for violation of the Code of Conduct or for any other reason that my involvement as a volunteer coach is not in the best interest of Buckeye Soccer Association and its players. Concerns about specific Buckeye Soccer Association coaches’ conduct during the seasonal year should be directed to the Trustees.